Friday, November 26, 2010

Four Winds Farm - Our New Home

"....after much personal chaos, family illness, that of my immediate family and myself, and everything that goes with a close family going through "tough times", I am back-to-blogging because life has granted me a reprieve from the intense responsibility of worrying about family and self and caring for others while attempting to recover and maintain my own health.  But, since this blog is supposed to be about Valie and I, I shall reserve the gory health details for another point in time, a time when I just can't find anything to say about "all things equine" (will that ever happen?).

I also want to take a moment to thank those of you that wrote support notes both here on my blog and via personal email!  I am finding that I look forward to visiting my follower's blogs and am also looking forward to getting to know ya'll a little better as time goes on.  I wonder if it's possible to make new friends, across-the-country, in this manner.  But, if the comments and blogs I've had the pleasure of reading are any indication of the wonderful people that blog and check in here, I am beginning to believe that friendships can be developed this way and that is definitely something I will cultivate in the future!

So, with that said, let me announce that Valie and I have have gone out on our own while Lindsey pursues other endeavors and as such, we made the move to a new barn.  The above captioned photo depicts the driveway entry to the property and as you can see, the name of the farm is "Four Winds Farm" and it's located in North Oxford, Massachusetts.  I know that I had not talked about moving other than to tell you about a friend of mine that was having his own share of "barn" difficulties.  But, the barn I'm coming from, Legacy Stable in Mendon, Massachusetts, was wonderful and the care was great as was the facility itself.  The primary reason for the move is because I am looking at hardly being able to ride over the winter while recovering from my surgery and the other health issues and that I was hoping to find someone to do some catch rides on Valie as well as some schooling rides on him by a trainer.  The problem is that Legacy Stable is primarily a saddleseat barn and specializes in Morgans and Arabians and since the Vee-Boy is a Thoroughbred, I thought it would be best to move to a barn that works with TB's as well as rides in the same discipline that I do (Hunter/Jumper).

Anyway, I had a really hard time coming to the decision  to move again being that it was our second time here and that owners/trainers, Mike and Liz Murphy, are my "friends", I admire them very much and also, had it not been for them, I would have never made my re-entry into horse ownership as smooth as it was 4 years ago, without their knowledge and assistance!  But, putting Valie first as well as giving him an opportunity at a huge turnout with grass in the summer and an owner/trainer, Jamie Blash, that is excellent at what she does, I am quite secure in the decision I've made. 

The night I went to visit the farm for the first time, only a mere half hour into the tour, I began to feel safe with Ms. Blash and knew my horse would be in good hands.  Some of those feelings stemmed from the visual of the tremendous condition of the farm, the well fed horses that were happily munching lots of hay in their clean stalls and the happy boarders and students, all indicators of a top-notch facility and a hint of the great care my horse would surely receive.  Another interesting observation was noticing that Jamie was genuinely warm and welcoming and let's face it, that's something you don't always find in barn owners/trainers.  In other words, I immediately and completely "hit it off" with her and truly speaking, I knew right then and there that I had found our new home!  So, as of this upcoming Monday, we will celebrate our 2 Week anniversary at Four Winds Farm and as I get back in the saddle again, I will chronicle my journey while navigating my body back into "riding mode".  I ask you to come along for the ride and I promise you that we'll share a few laughs as I recount what I'm sure will be many-a-blunder as I try to get back to my previous level of riding!

3 comments:

Allison said...

That is really wonderful that you made that decision for Valie. I am finding the "support-in-a-box" of other OTTB owners here to be helpful and encouraging, and I am enjoying the voice and input of other writers. I am not too far from you, country-wise, in Northern VT. My horse ran at Suffolk and sometimes PA. May you have a wonderful long snuggly winter as you heal. (Patience!) Hope all goes well with everything going on for you right now.

Ashley said...

I have learned over the past couple of months that you can definitely make friends on here. "Invisible" friends if you will :) I actually know people who have met up with their blogger friends. Its really neat because we all share the same passion and after hearing and following people's stories you find yourself taking a genuine interest in them and their lives! Technology is a cool thing :)

allhorsestuff said...

Thankful you've gotten a bit of recovery going, and when your Val is happy/safe, you can totally relax/heal!

Very nice to hear of a move that was for positive reasons, truly! And that stable door is still open too. Sounds like really wise choices.

Yea, sometimes, I WANT TO say more about life on my blog...it entreats folks more.
It was started as my horse journal. And to be honest, never thought I'd be conversing with others as much, and meeting them, riding with local bloggers, and planing trips to meet up with more, next year.
It's downright very heart rendering, how nice people are here, and how much you can truly glean!

Very happy to know you are in a great place, mentally and horse wise!